Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Welcome Home


I haven't been in front of a computer or done "much" these three weeks. It has been all about baby. I can't believe it was just three weeks ago today, almost 4. I've had so many emotions run through me. I marvel at the miracle it is to create life and to see it right before your eyes. I'm overwhelmed that he is ours and we have to meet his needs all the time and I think of the future and pray we will be friends and that we will teach him well. I'm so grateful for a patient husband to lift me up, make me smile when I need it and who is willing to burp or take the baby when I need a break. those qualities in a man are so important. The story is Wed, May14 I woke to having contractions in my stomach. I remember thinking: so that's what they feel like". I went back to bed. Thurs, I felt them all morning here and there but by mid afternoon they were coming more regular so I started to keep track of them. By 7 they were stopping me in my tracks. When they came I would have to brace myself and breathe through them. In the afternoon they moved from my stomach to my back and it was more irritating there. I even called Tammy to ask her what "real contractions" where like. She said "you'd know. You wont be able to talk through them". A half hour after that it was just like she said. I finished the dishes (taking two breaks to breathe through contractions) and then to my bed. I finally called Don and told him to come home. The whole plan was for friends of ours to take me to the hospital and he'd meet me there when the day arrived but I didn't want that. I called him and told him to come home. He came very quickly. They say you are in labor if they are 5 mins apart, they last 1 min and this lasts for 1 hour. That was definitely happening but I still didn't believe it. We finally left for the hospital at 10 pm. It was a very busy night there. Later we heard 18 babies were born. They had an intern going around to the different mothers and interviewing them to see which could be sent home-- I wasn't one of them and the poor guy came in three times to ask questions at the worst times. I was at three cm when they checked me and that surprised me. The contractions started to be all consuming. I would have a second warning and then it would hit with the worst back pain ever. All I wanted to do is yell out but Don did a great job of always reminding me to breathe and count though it. The crazy thing is experiencing my water breaking!! It was just Don and I-the nurse had left. I had a huge contraction and then it was like a bucket of water on my lap (a small one ) or like sitting on a water balloon. I went to 7 cm fast but by then the back pain was too much. I planned to do it without pain relief but just didn't want to go through it anymore. I got an epidural and it was great. I still felt pressure but the back pain wasn't there anymore. At 9cm my contractions slowed down too much so they gave me pitocin. It was difficult to push at first b/c it was a new thing to push down there but by the time he was coming out....and with the Doc's help I knew where to push. Also, it got to the point where I wanted to push..I had this overwhelming feeling (and knowledge) that if I just pushed the pain would leave and it would over. Then I heard William's first cry and suddenly they placed him on my chest and he was real and we looked at each other. It was amazing. He is adorable and we are amazed to see him. Don was wonderful through out it and is strength. I love seeing William's expressions. He will smile and chuckle in his sleep and frown too. He will intently stare at you with wide eyes-just soaking everything in. I have to go but just wanted to share my story. Take Care,love Renee

No comments: